Sunday, March 9, 2014

Great Time With Rosie

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!  I really need to get back on here more often. For some reason I have yet to attempt to figure out, I still can't post pictures grrrrrr.


Our visit with Rosie went quite well.  Her dad dropped her off 5 days early as he was coming to our area to bring some other dogs so I told him to bring her so he didn't have to make another trip down (he's about 2 hours away).  Lucas was such a good boy with her this time. I think he remembered her from last time and he only growled maybe like twice, and that was because she bumped into him. Holly, well Holly I felt like she was going to pack her bags and leave when Rosie first got here. She remembered that toy thief. It took a few days for Holly but she finally started playing with Rosie. Everyone did absolutely great together! I couldn't have asked for anything better!  The only thing I had a problem with this time is that she did not like any other person whatsoever.  At work or at home whenever someone came in, she growled and she barked consistently. I couldn't tell if she would do anything so I was sure to keep her on her leash or put her in my office behind closed doors (while she still barked). I told her dad about it and he said she is more protective of him lately, but she doesn't even know us I would think to act the same way. I tried a squirt bottle one time and she just about had a shower by the time I was done. Didn't bother her. Not sure what to try next time. Oh, and what I mean by next time is he didn't end up going away this time as he had too many dogs to board and it would have been too costly so he changed his trip to the end of April.  We still watched her for 12 days, for what reason I don't know, but she wasn't a bother at all so I didn't care.  Of course when he did pick her up to take her home, our home was quite quiet and we all missed her. Can't wait for her next visit. If anyone has any suggestions for me to try with her barking and growling with new people, please leave a comment. Was thinking of trying a citronella bark collar but don't want to put in too much money for a weeks visit.


In about 10 days I have to get another dental implant and at the same time they are doing periodontal surgery on my upper jaw. I've had the surgery done on my lower jaw many years ago and it wasn't fun so I am so not happy about having this done. If anything good will come out of it I might lose a few pounds from not being able to eat, haha!


Well I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their Sunday! Enjoy it!

3 comments:

  1. I have missed your posts!

    First things first...how old is Rosie again? Some of her stranger danger might be age. In her day to day life she may not actually have a lot of stranger exposure.

    I probably wouldn't do a collar on her in that case because my guess is she is fired up enough it won't make a different (case in point the water). I do think it is good that you don't allow her to have contact because the reaction is so big.

    I used to have a female GSD that was more guard-y when she would stay with me than her owner. I assume it is an insecurity. She was a mature dog so in her case I was pretty firm with her so she knew I had it covered. Dobermans in my experience seem to be a little harder to get off that ledge once they got up there. :)

    Your dental surgery makes me want to panic on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie is just over 1 yr old. She is the dog of the rescue guy and pretty much takes her everywhere with him. I know he sees a lot of the same people, and she interacts great with other dogs. It's funny because the people who met her at my work before can't believe she's like that. My hubby loves that she's like that, she'll be protective of us but interacts with our family perfect. Except that any other person (even other family members) she immediately growls and barks at. I wouldn't let her near anyone. I don't want that liability.

      Please DO panic. Just with my consultation last week I ended up coming home with a stiff neck and a migraine. I cannot say how much a hate any kind of dentist.

      Delete
    2. Ah. She is just a baby still. You may find her totally different the next time she comes out. When they are in their fear stages when they are young I do try and manage the triggers so they don't rehearse the bad behavior too much.

      I am not sure how I would handle a procedure like that. I feel like they would need to knock me out entirely.

      Delete