Saturday, July 6, 2013

Holly's Home!

Well the title of this post says it all but doesn't show my excitement. Last night when I called for the update at 8:30 they told me she finally stopped bleeding. I was so relieved to hear this. They wanted her pcv level to come up some more though before she went home. It was 33 last night. Up from 30 from the morning test. When I called this morning at 7 they told me it was still at 33 but felt she was stable enough to go home, of course with limited outside (only potty breaks) and no playing, running and other such strenuous activities.

We picked her up at 9 this morning.  She was so excited to see us. I truly felt like she thought she was left there for good by the look on her face and was in disbelief that we came back for her. I was so happy to see her I couldn't help but cry. She wasn't as excited as I thought she would be to see Lucas. He gave her a sniff down and that was pretty much it. I know she's all doped up still and will be for awhile. She's been whiny since we picked her up. I feel bad for her. I just hope her whininess is from the medicine and not so much the pain. I know she has pain though. 

I bring her back to my vet on Monday to have them check her pcv level again, and I'm sure I'll be back there a few more times too. 

I can't tell you how happy I am to have my girl home.  Yesterday I thought we were going to lose her and now she's home.  

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! I was thinking of you all night. I can say from experience that two of my dobermans were whiners from being doped up probably more so than the surgery recovery. I am so thrilled she is home with you guys. She is probably pretty darn confused. I am assuming they are doing a biopsy on the mass/spleen?

    I would have been totally crying picking up a dog after stress like that. I hope you can have a very low key weekend with her.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am getting the mass tested. They sent the spleen with it too. Hopefully next week we'll hear back. Now I just need her to start eating and drinking. She won't eat her own food, but she ate the burger and rice my hubby cooked her. She really hasn't had any water though yet. She's been sleeping for a couple hours now. I know it's because of the meds, she's all out of whack.

      Thanks for thinking of her! Holly would jump up on you and give you a nose bonk if she could! :)
      Linda

      Delete
    2. Ha! It is when they won't even eat the human food that you have to worry. That is awesome. She is going to work it. Hopefully the water drinking will keep up. I am assuming they were hydrating her as well.

      I am just so darn happy she is home and OK, and I know you are too.

      I bet you are looking forward to her being able to jump up at all!

      Delete
    3. You're absolutely right. She can have all the burger and rice she wants! Yes, they had her on fluids there. And yes, I'm looking forward to my nose bonks soon!

      Delete
    4. She's doing great! Had her pcv level checked last night, it's back to 50! She was 49 before surgery. Her appetite and energy isn't all there yet but she definitely acting like her old self. I'm cutting the tramadol out tonight to see if she'll be ok. I'm so happy she's getting back to her self. Haven't heard back on the results yet.
      Thanks for checking Sam!
      Linda

      Delete
    5. Phew. I got super nervous when I didn't see any updates, but I know you aren't online during the week much either. She is such a young dog! I am glad that her levels are looking good and she is feeling better. Sam

      Delete
    6. I know you have an email. Ok if I send you mine? If it is, it'll be from flkingfan. I'd love to be able to keep in touch during the week in crisis if need be... Or just to say howdy. :)

      Delete
    7. Definitely e-mail me! I was wishing I had your e-mail last night to check in. Sam

      Delete