Friday, September 28, 2012

Paying for pain

I never thought I'd pay someone to inflict pain upon me.

On Tuesday I had to get a follow-up mammogram as my one from 2 weeks ago showed signs of calcification. Well let me just tell you the follow-up hurt like a #@%*!. I thought they forget to let up on the pedal or something it was so painful. This is the whole reason in the first place why I never wanted to start getting them in the first place. Last year was my first mammogram. It went fine. Two weeks ago was my second one. It went fine. Then when they had me do this follow-up one, forget it. My mom got a bruise on one of her breasts almost 21 years ago, which turned out to be cancer. She had a masectomy, received chemo and is a cancer survivor. I've always been hesitant about getting a mammogram done as I've heard many years ago that they hurt. My doctor understood my fear. Last year I went and I was relieved it didn't "squish" my breasts like I thought it would, and felt no pain whatsoever. Now my doctor wants to send me to a breast surgeon to get a needle biopsy. I've also heard conflicting pain outcome stories on those too. And whose to say that the scarring won't turn into something. I don't know. Anyone have any experience with these?

On Wednesday I had my first lip wax done. Yes, I'm at that age where something needs to be done about that facial hair. It's been there a few years. I've been using the creme which works just fine. A friend of mine is an aesthetician and she has convinced me to do the wax. If she wasn't more than an hour away I would have gone to her, but she recommended a place that uses hard wax. I have to admit I was very nervous, and the only reason I kept putting it off was because I knew it would cause pain. It did, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Oh it made my eyes water, but I survived. I go back every 4 weeks, and I know I'll be nervous every time I go, but I'll be happy when I leave.

I think I'll choose the waxing over the mammogram any day. I hate getting older.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! I swear the fear factor will probably keep me from getting a mammogram as long as possible. I don't have breast cancer in my family either so I know I will end up using that for justification as well.

    How much of it do you think is the technician versus the process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first mammogram I had done a few weeks ago I had PMS, and the girl had mentioned that they usually tell people not to do it then. Well no one mentioned that to me. They hurt, but not like they normally did with my PMS so I did it. I think it showed something because of that, but I'm not a dr.

      When they did the follow up mammogram I believe the girl did it way too hard. I honestly think she was new, as before she was done she went and got another nurse to make sure she didn't need any other views. And when the other nurse came in to help finish it wasn't as painful. So yes, I believe a huge part of it is the technician. Honestly, after this, I don't know if I'll go back next year. I have an appointment with a breast surgeon on Wednesday for a consult on if he would do a needle biopsy. I don't even know if I would do that. We'll see.

      If I were you I would keep using that "no breast cancer history in your family" as long as possible.

      Delete