Saturday, February 2, 2013

New Injury and New Dog Friend

To make a long story short, Lucas had a visitor over the other week that was on doggy speed or something.  The dog knocked into Lucas, Lucas hurt himself.  His leg seemed to have locked up or popped out.  After a few minutes it loosened up and he started to walk okay.  Since then, 3 times he has yelped and his leg would lock up, straight out.  Again, it would loosen up after a few minutes.  Lucas is a tough little guy and he's never yelped in pain before this.

Yesterday I took him to the vet.  They did an exam.  Found the problem was his neck.  They took a couple of x-rays.  He has 2 pinched vertabra in his neck.  Between two there is just bone on bone.  Between another two there is a very slight space.  So now he is on Prednisone and a muscle relaxer for 2 weeks.  He's also supposed to take it easy, but he really doesn't over do it.  All he has to do is turn his head the wrong way and he will hurt it.  The vet believes the medicine will help, but that any time in the future he could re-injure it.  I believe when he's done with the medicine I might try to find a chiropractor and take him for a consultation.  Always worth a try.


Today I went down to my parents to get some stuff done for them.  On the way home I met up with a Doberman friend to give her something.  She had one of her kids with her.  This is Leissl.  She is about 11 years old and about the sweetest girl.  She gives gentle kisses just like Lucas.  I'm in love with her.

3 comments:

  1. Darn it! Dobermans are so prone to the neck stuff! You might look into acupuncture too if there is someone really good around the area that works on dogs. I am lucky because the one I use is a doberman owner herself so she really gets their body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else suggested an acupuncturist too. Will have to look in to it. I've had it done on myself, and it seems it depends on the acupuncturists if it works or not.

      Delete
    2. I agree, you really want someone who knows what they are doing (for human or dog).

      Delete