Saturday, March 16, 2013

From Neurological to Mass

I had Lucas' re-evaluation yesterday at his neurologist.  Didn't go quite as I had expected. 

She was doing the evaluation, talking about treating the vertigo plus heading towards putting him on an anti-inflammatory...then when she was feeling him she found a 4cm mass near his belly. So they did an ultrasound and a needle aspiration. They said they could not find where it was attached to anything (organs and such).  She said the bladder wall was inflamed (hence the UTI he has) so they took a needle sample directly from the bladder, which my regular vet was planning on doing today anyways.  That will take about 3 days to get back the results.

So about a half an hour ago they called with the results already on the mass and it is cancerous.  The pathologist said that the results are similar to a retained testicle that has become cancerous. It has to be removed so we can find out what it is, so I will be calling my vet on Monday to set something up.  She said it would be better if it was a retained testicle.  So I can only hope it is. 

I actually thought it wasn't going to be cancer as the way they were talking yesterday.  I was staying really positive for a change in my life.  Now it is a little bit harder this time, but I'm still going to stay positive until it is done and over with.  It's hard, he's such a momma's boy and I love this boy so much.  I know he's about 8 years old, which is good for a Doberman, but there is still many more left for him.  My last girl I lost at 8 years old, but my first boy was 13 1/2 years old when I lost him. 

Please keep my boy in your thoughts and hope that all comes out okay for him.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. I am so sorry, you have actually had some luck with long-life dobermans (I lost one young to DCM) but I agree with you, 8 is young. I bet the news of a mass was a shock to you. Poor Lucas. Good think you have warm weather for that shaved belly. Thinking of you! Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! I'm actually glad they did find it as it could have gone undetected for quite awhile. She found it by pressing into him so it's not something noticeable. His poor little fur is finally starting to come in (a little patchy) from having that lump removed back in January, now he'll be bald again. He's a tough little guy.
      Hopefully will have some better news in a week or two!
      Linda

      Delete