Saturday, May 18, 2013

Feathers and Furs

The other week my dad asked me if I knew anyone who would like a Blue Crowned Conure. It's my parents neighbors bird they've had for 15 years and no longer wanted as they don't have time for it. I knew they wanted to get rid of it because I spoke to the husband last October about it and I suggested he return it to the rescue where he got it from. Well apparently he didn't, and recently the bird started pulling its feathers out due to stress. I first found a vet/rescue who was going to take it, but then my husbands bosses dad said he would take it. He's had birds for a long time and I was reassured he'd be able to handle the issues this bird has. So on Mother's Day we picked "Peanut" up from my parents neighbor and brought him to his new home.  He (or she, as they don't even know the sex) was a biter so we didn't touch him.  He was a pretty bird and I know he definitely has a better home now. 



Lucas is getting to be a little piggy so I'm pretty sure he will be going on a diet soon.  He goes from one extreme to another, not eating to not stopping.  I take him back to the vet in a week or two and will see how much he's gained.



Holly finally made her way onto the couch.  We have a bench right in front of it which she's been laying on.  Eventually she would be half on the bench half on the couch.  Well Sunday she decided to try the whole couch.  Being a couch hog, this is why she is back on the bench now.
 
 
 
My parents are getting their house tented for termites on Monday so they will be staying with me for two nights, until Wednesday.  They'll be bringing their kitty Star too.  The poor cat will be more traumatized than it already is.  I think I've seen the cat maybe 3 times, otherwise I have to look under the beds for her.  I'm taking a couple days off work to spend the time with them.  Not my idea of vacation time but I'll take it. 
 
Hope everyone has a great Saturday! Time for me to eat lunch then wash the floors!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that bird found a good home. They live so long and I think need a lot more than people realize. I never have any interest in owning birds. But maybe it I had unlimited resources and I could do a proper set-up. Even then they would be rescues.

    Very interesting on Lucas! Does he have this thyroid tested? That sounds the way female dogs go with their hormones, but that shouldn't be his issue. Good luck with the diet.

    Good luck with the parents + kitty in the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bird can live 25-30 yrs. Only the wife could hold it, and they confined it to their garage, so you know it had no interaction it needed. Those birds need their owners. If I knew how to handle those type issues I would have kept Peanut, but I don't and I wanted the best for him/her. I do want a Cockatiel one day, just not yet. I know our local Animal Control has had parrots for adoption.

      Funny you ask about the thyroid test. I was thinking on having blood work done on him in a couple of months just to check everything. The one doctor told me since we had that retained testicle removed, he could go through hormone changes for at least up to 6 months. I noticed he has flakes on his back too the past 7-10 days, which he's never had.

      Delete
    2. I am pretty clueless on birds myself, but I agree that they seem to need their people a lot more than people give them credit. I suspect they are fairly social. I would need a very different life to deal with birds, but definitely would be a rescue if I did. I have mixed feelings about people owning them at all.

      Maybe you should do the blood work then and make sure everything is is order.

      Delete