Saturday, May 4, 2013

Free Mammogram - Accomplished

Well I had my mammogram done on Tuesday and it didn't cost me anything.  They even gave me a $5 Dunkin Donuts gift card for bringing in my records.  They were pretty nice there and pretty quick too.  I had to wait for my results just to make sure that they didn't need to take any further pictures.  All is A-Okay!  I was relieved to hear that. 

It was a pain to get to my mammogram appointment as it was terrible weather.  At one intersection the lights weren't working properly, and it's at a pretty heavy intersection.  I waited for the truck next to me to go so if he got hit I at least had a cushion on that side, as terrible as that sounds but it was really a bad intersection.  People are supposed to treat these things as 4-way stops but it just doesn't happen.  Most people can kind of coordinate going their turns, but other people get pissed off and just barrel right through.  Such as the semi-truck that I guess was so annoyed he would rather have hit someone.  I couldn't believe that guy. Scary.  I called the county after I made it through the intersection and left them a message about the craziness going on.

I only took Lucas to work with me twice this week as I had to go some places after work on the other days.  I try to bring him to work with me when I know it might be bad weather but that'll have to be every day soon.  He loves going to work with his mommy.  I just need to figure out how to get him to stop barking at stuff on the other side of the door.  I was thinking of trying one of the bark collars with the spray on it, not the electric kind.  If I know him better, that would freak him out and probably stop him but I hate to make him more petrified of stuff than he already is.  I think I might try it when I have the spare money to buy one though.  At least to try it once and see how he reacts.  Anyone else try it?  I can usually make an "eh" noise at him when I can tell he's getting ready to bark and he won't, but I can't do that when I'm on the phone.  I get frustrated too.  I'm terrible at training.

This is Lucas one of the days at my work when it was raining all day and he was kind of freaking out.

Well off to do a little house cleaning and laundry then to start on finishing the dog toys.  I'm getting there!

Have a great day everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Florida must have the most strange weather. I don't have experience with the citronella collars but they do work on some dogs. Does playing music help drown some of the noises out? I guess maybe toys and chews to keep him distracted? Maybe he will get more used to the office noise over time.

    For the storm stuff. I did use Happy Traveler for Rusty for other behavioral issues and of all herbal things I have tried, that seemed to actually have an impact. That is hard. When they are really freaked out like that I do try and ignore them, but if it is really bad you might need to talk to the vet about sedative options. Is it the actual rain that is the issue? Or is it thunder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music helps some when I blast it, but I'd need to listen for the phones so that won't help there. I bring his toy but doesn't work. Sometimes he'll grab it when he wants to bark which is great, but that's only about 1% of the time.

      It started with just the thunder but over the years now he starts when it starts to rain hard. I do ignore him usually. I usually (when at home) open my closet and he'll go in there and stay. It is hard to see him like that and unfortunately we live where it is a common thing. I bought the thunder shirt and will try to use it again, didn't work before. My friend bought it for her dog and it works. What can I say, I have a difficult dog. :)

      Delete
    2. I don't have any history with the thunder shirts, but it sounds like what you have noticed...some dogs they work on, some dogs not all. Odin used to hide in the closet when my neighbors were shooting. I know it is hard to watch, but I always just preferred he retreated to where he felt safe.

      If there was a kennel in the office with Lucas retreat to that? Not sure if that would reduce the barking or not.

      Delete
    3. Never used a kennel, but if I had a closet for the thunder and rain he'd use it. As for the barking I know that wouldn't help. He's such a brat sometimes. :)

      Delete