Sunday, May 26, 2013

Freedom Ride

I sponsored a week of boarding for a Doberman that was turned into our county shelter this past week who is heartworm positive.  I offered the sponsorship as the Doberman rescues in South Florida are pretty much full and if one of them didn't pull him, he would have a high chance of being euthanized after his 5 day hold.  He was supposed to go to boarding on Tuesday.  Well today the county shelter called the rescue and said he has kennel cough and requested he be picked up asap.  Long story short, the boarder is out of town until tomorrow, so the rescue where I adopted my two from asked if I would pick him up and meet him half way (about an hour away). Of course I obliged. 

So this is now-named Hunter.

He is a 5 year old cropped, not docked Doberman.  He is a very handsome boy.  His tail wagged from the time I saw him probably for about half an hour.  He is heartworm positive and has kennel cough so they did not neuter him.  He was a little forceful when I stopped petting him, but when he got the hint he did go back to de-stuffing the toy in the back of the van.  This is the first transport I have done and I think I'll have to go buy one of those leashes to attach to the seatbelt so they are not all over the place next time.  He was anxious as I could understand, but otherwise a very good boy.  He gave a few little kisses and nudges.  I know he'll be adopted in no time at all.

Here's some more pictures along with a couple of the beautiful weather driving there and back.  Couldn't ask for anything better.



His wonderful tail.
 
 


3 comments:

  1. How fun! I know what you mean about trying to tether them. Moving rescues is such a mixed bag. Some have never been in a kennel, and with dobermans it is hard to fit a big enough kennel sometimes. I can create a cargo space that pins them in the back of my car. But you really just never know what their experience is + the anxiety for them of the change. That must have been a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is a wonderful boy. I was really surprised he wasn't claimed at the shelter. He's in really good shape besides having the heartworm. It really was a wonderful experience and hope I can help again!

      Delete
    2. That is sad isn't it? He looks like he is in good health (aside from the heartworm). I suppose no ID chip. Sometimes I wonder if they just get too far away. I hope he gets into a great home.

      Delete