Friday, June 7, 2013

I'm Excited!

In my "Doggy Visitors" previous post, we had a little girl named Rosie stop by with her dad.  Well her dad is going on vacation and somehow I actually convinced him to let us puppy-sit her for the week he'll be gone.  He is the rescue where my two came from.  He actually has to board most of his fosters, and he's bringing Rosie here and 3 of his other ones to another rescue near where I live to watch.  One of the other ones he's bringing is the one I gave a "Freedom Ride" for, Hunter.  I'm wondering if I, and the other rescue, might have time to meet up so I can see Hunter.  That would be nice.  So I'm excited to have a little one around, but I know I'll be tired from following her around...I can feel it already. :)  I just hope Lucas isn't an ass (excuse me) towards her.  He did pretty well last time, so I can hope he continues with the good behavior and not piss her off.

I stopped by the vet today to get Holly's nails trimmed.  They gave me Lucas' blood results.  He is normal but borderline on the thyroid test.  She gave me a few options.  One, would be to put him on a low dose thyroid med and re-test him in a month and see if the number gets better.  Two would be do nothing and re-test him in a few months to see if the numbers remain the same.  Third would be to do other blood work.  I'm choosing to do the other blood work first.  I don't want to unnecessarily put him on medicine for something if he doesn't need it.  He goes back for another urine culture and sensitivity test in about 2 weeks so I will get the blood work done then. 

We also had our last visit to the neurologist this week, we meaning Lucas.  The doctor we've been seeing wasn't there due to a family emergency and they didn't know when she was coming back.  The doctor we seen this time seems to think most his problems stem from what he believes is Wobblers.  Lucas is no where at a point where he would need surgery.  As for the neck injury, he believes he pinched a nerve and that's why his front leg would extend out.  If he has any problems in the future he said they could put him on a prednisone treatment, I believe it was a 15-day treatment.  But as of right now Lucas seems to be doing better and he said to finish out what Gabapentin he's on then to go off of it and see how he does.  I like this doctor much better as the other doctor said he might have to be on this medicine for the rest of his life, which I didn't agree with (not out loud anyway).

I also had blood work done on my cat Patches.  Her fructosamine  number came back good.  Her thyroid number came back higher than last time, not good.  She doesn't want to increase her dosage yet until I have more blood work done to check her kidneys as with her age the medicines can affect them.  I think I'll just start a blood bank for my kiddos.  I think I'm going to start claiming them on my taxes too, at least for medical. 

Had some bad weather yesterday because of Tropical Storm Andrea.  We had a tornado hit our area just after 7a.m. probably about 1 1/2 miles from my home.  That's a first so close for me.  I've been through 3 hurricanes and I do not want to go through a tornado.  I brought both dogs with me to work yesterday as I knew it would be bad weather all day. 
 
 
Hope everyone had a good week! Time to enjoy the weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Good morning. Sounds like you have some fun ahead with the puppy sitting. Sorry to hear on the earlier stages of Wobblers. I would probably do further blood work or wait on the thyroid as well. Has his weight been coming down?

    I don't even live in a state with hurricanes or tornadoes and I totally fear them.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't weighed him in 2 weeks so I'm not sure. He's still a little flaky but really shedding a lot still.

      It's not normal for us to get tornadoes, and I'm totally afraid of them. At least with hurricanes you have time to prepare. I don't know how those people live in tornado-prone states. I'd be living in the basement.

      Hope all is ok, you've been quiet this week!! Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

      Delete
    2. Hi there. This has been a chaotic week. My Grammy died on Monday and I am also in finals week (more or less...it is actually truly finals next week). My Grammy was unexpected so it kind of was overwhelming, and I still had all these due dates to deal with.

      Good point about the tornado's lack of warning. They both seem very scary to me.

      You have a good weekend too. I have one class totally complete for the quarter, don't love my last exam grade, but at least it is done. So really one class left to focus on.

      Delete
    3. I'm so sorry to hear that Sam. My condolences to you and your family. I could imagine how hard it is studying with what happened. Best of luck next week with the finals.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a busy week for you. It is fun but tiring to have a pup around. Take care, I'm off to feed the chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll be dragging by the time he picks her back up.

      Hopefully you're feeding your chickens in some more gorgeous weather!

      Delete