Monday, January 21, 2013

Can We Restart the Year Please?

So I know I'm not the only one with a bad beginning to the New Year, but this is ridiculous.  Saturday morning my husband had a heart attack.  Unfortunately he is following in his fathers path, but hopefully will not have the same ending.

He woke up Saturday morning and was going to take Lucas to the vet for a follow-up visit.  He felt some chest pain and got sweaty.  It went away.  He told me about it.  Then he was talking about going to the walk-in clinic. Ummm, honey, I don't think the walk-in clinic treat heart attacks so you might want to rethink that one.  He started getting dressed.  Got worse chest pain and fell back onto the bed.  I called 911.  No screwing around.

The ambulance was in my driveway working on him for about 15 minutes, then just took off without telling me where they were going.  Had to call and find out where they took him, very frustrating.  On the way I talked to his sister who is a nurse, and told her the symptoms he was feeling.  She said they weren't classic heart attack symptoms.  I started to feel a little relief as I was speeding to the hospital.

When I walked into the ER, they told me he was having a heart attack.  They took me to him.  He was breathing hard and his whole body was shaking.  Then they took me out to talk to me.  When the nurse talked to me I didn't hear a word he said and had to have him repeat it.  It's so hard when you're alone with no one else to help listen for you.  Then I had to help finish filling out some paperwork. 

They took him in to the Cath Ward, and they were successful in putting in a stent in an artery that was 99% blocked.  He said the other arteries looked good, but should be on cholesterol medicine as they are not as they should be for his age, mid-forties.

Well this afternoon he came home.  He was ready to come home yesterday, but he had to have another test today.  Never thought a release would take 5 hours. 

Now he's in bed sleeping for the last hour, and I'm about to do the same here shortly.  I'm taking a couple days off work just to make sure he'll be okay.  I'm sure he will be. 

2 comments:

  1. Goodness Linda! When you were quiet I was worried about Lucas! I am so sorry you had such a major health incident. That had to be super scary for both of you. Did he have any warning signs before hand or it just happened?

    Take care both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had chest pain once the night before. When he woke up, he had slight chest pain and was sweaty, went away, then came back about 5 minutes later and was a little dizzy, went away, then came back a few minutes later. Once he was in the ambulance it was extremely bad he said. That's when the pain went into his jaw too.

      It's something I never want to go through again, and I know he doesn't either. Unfortunately I think it will be his fate, same as his dad's.

      On another note, Lucas' lump had filled back up, and it is a seroma. Had it drained, but it might keep filling back up until it's healed. I can keep getting it drained, or I can have them put a drain in it. I prefer to just have it drained as long as he is okay with it (no pain).

      Can I come take a vacation and visit you Sam? :)

      Delete